Keep Trying

Friday, January 23, 2004

Freedom of Choice

Michael Totten describes his feelings of freedom as he gives himself the choice to decide which party/candidate to vote for:

"Now I don't know. In some ways I like the Democrats, and in other ways I like the Republicans. This time around I'll actually get to decide. I'll actually make a choice. It isn't predetermined by anybody, not even myself. Democracy is all about choice, and those who are rigid party supporters don't get to know what that feels like. I feel more powerful having a choice, like what I say and think actually counts. I can think for myself in ways I only thought I could before. No one feeds me opinions with a spoon. No one I care about insists that since I believe X I must also believe Y. It was lonely for a while, but now it's nice. I like it. I'm free."