Keep Trying

Monday, March 22, 2004

A Prayer for Peace

The leader of the Hamas terrorist group Ahmed Yassin, was killed today. Hamas proudly takes credit from numerous murderous acts against men, women and children.

Many will issue condemnations, as they do for other acts of self-defense. A clarifying question is - "Would you protest if America kills Osama Bin Laden?"

The traditional Jewish response at times like this is to pray for the safety of the targets of terrorism, which in our times includes just about everybody.

An often said prayer in times of trouble is Tehillim (Psalms) 130:

A Song of Ascents, from the depth I called out to You, Hashem;
Hashem, hear my voice, let Your ears be attentive to all my pleas;
If You preserve iniquities, G-d, who could survive;
Because with You is forgiveness, that You may be feared;
I put confidence in You, Hashem, my soul put confidence, and I hoped for His word;
I yearn for Hashem, like those who wait for the dawn, those longing for the dawn;
Let Israel hope for Hashem, because with Hashem is chesed, and with him is much redemption;
And He will redeem Israel from all its iniquities;

(FYI - Hashem is another name for G-d.)

Despite what anybody might tell you, there is a G-d and he wants us to pray. Even if you have doubts, and at some level everybody does, it can't hurt - and we need all the help we can get!