Keep Trying

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Scoble on Technology Churn

Robert Scoble took the time to write a well thought out email on his views on Technology Churn. He gave me p2p (permission 2 publish) rights, but I will just highlight some of his points.

Robert pointed out that the need to regularly upgrade technology must be viewed from a variety of view points:
Engineering: A better technology.
Marketing: A more saleable product.
Business Customer: More wanted and needed features.
Employee: Accomplishment to advance ones career.
Executive: Talking to the press about the great stuff going on.
Investor: Looking for companies with revenues from new and upgraded products.

I think that these are all valid points and a software company must consider all these factors. But at the end of the day, if you customers feel they are paying for stuff they don't need and spending valuable resources rolling out upgrades, they are going to be unhappy.

In the near future I will try to articulate the dissatisfaction that some of my customers and others are having and try to imagine what I would do if I was in Microsoft's shoes.