Keep Trying

Thursday, July 22, 2004

Pleasures of Blogging

Looking back at close to three years of blogging, the most enjoyable times were when I was involved in blogging conversations (blogversations). The back and forth between blogs often lead to a deeper understanding of the subject under discussion and to a greater appreciation of the people involved.

So why is my blogging now more of the soapbox uni-directional format that seems to have become the norm. I attribute it to decadence. It involves much more effort to truly understand and thoughtfully respond to another's post - so we take the easy way out and blog from the echo chambers of our mind. We only build relationships where there will be little difference of opinion. It is safe, it is comfortable, it is decadent.

Intellectually, I appreciate the fact that the greatest pleasures in life come with much pain and effort. I am hoping that my actions will more closely follow that understanding in the future.