Keep Trying

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

More New Year's Thoughts

Here is a wonderful post from a London based Chassid:

..I was thus pleased to be humbled this weekend by a woman whom I had hitherto regarded as completely devoid of religious sentiment. We were discussing Rosh Hashana and I could not resist asking what she felt coming to Shul for the first of two annual visits and whether she did not feel like an impostor arriving at the party of a host who had been callously ignored all year.

“No,” she said “I don’t feel that way at all. I see Rosh Hashana as a celebration of G-d’s reign. I don’t feel bad celebrating the Royal Birthday just because I haven’t thought about the queen once all year and I don’t think Americans who avoided the draft feel foolish celebrating the fourth of July. G-d says I belong and if I belong I can celebrate. If G-d loves me, as everyone assures me He does, then He will be happy to see me at least once.”

If I don't speak to you again, may we all be inscribed in the Book of Life and may we all commit to improve the spiritual quality of our lives.