Keep Trying

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

What's the Bracha for Voting

Jews say a blessing before and/or after we eat, drink, smell, see lightning, hear thunder, see the President, see a beautiful person, go to the bathroom, and the list goes on and on. Blessings bring awareness of G*d's kindness and the wonderful world he created.

So I was leaving my polling place this morning and I asked some friends from Shul, "What's the Bracha for Voting?". Mrs G answered, "I think it is a Bracha L'Vatolah". Which means a Bracha that should not be made. She was fearful of a Kerry victory.

Here is my version of the Bracha for voting:
"G*d, you are the source of all blessings and Master of the Universe, thank you for giving me the opportunity to vote and please give us the strength to endure and grow through the troubling times that we face."